Welcome


Greetings!

Thanks for visiting my vintage Hamilton watch blog. I like to restore US-made Hamilton wrist watches back to their original glory and share my experiences with other enthusiasts. Use the "Search" space below if you know what model you're looking for. Feel free to leave polite comments or questions in the spaces provided. Also check out my "watches for sale" on my Etsy site - the link is on the right, just below.

Saturday, August 5, 2017

1968 Dateline A-583

Watches with date complications first arrived in Hamilton's lineup in 1954 but it wasn't until the 1960's that date-equipped models really came into full swing.  You could get them in all sorts of configurations and case materials.  At the less expensive side of the spectrum was stainless steel and one of the models introduced in 1968 was the Dateline A-583.  It was produced for only two years.


Most of the Dateline models used ETA movements and specifically the 694 or 694A.  There are some Dateline Thin-o-matics too and they would have used the 624 or one of the Buren micro-rotor grades.

The Dateline A-583 is from the Accumatic-side of the Hamilton family tree and uses the 694A.  It came on a stainless steel bracelet made by JB Champion and my project watch came with it's original bracelet.


It's hard to tell from the front if the A-583 is a front loader or not.  However when you look at the back you can clearly see that the back of the case unscrews.


There's a seam that indicates that this model has a removable bezel.  So technically this is a three-piece case although the bezel is decorative and the crystal actually mounts to the case.  I suspect the case design might have been used for other models with different shaped bezels, but that's just a guess.


The movement has a pretty standard installation configuration with a movement ring that is held in place by a spring-ring in the case back.  Once the case back is secured the movement ring secures the movement inside the case.  There's a reflector ring in the crystal that keeps the movement from coming out the front and the movement ring keeps it from coming out the back.  It's all sandwiched in there nice and snugly.


The calendar complication is just that... complicated and you have to be careful during disassembly as there are a couple of springs that are easy to lose.


Everything get's completely taken apart and thoroughly cleaned and dried.  You can see step by step examples of the various movements I've worked on in the "overhaul examples" link within the menu to the right.


The basic reassembled movement is now ticking away.  I'll check it on the timer before I reinstall the automatic framework or the dial-side components.


It's running a wee-bit fast so I'll slow it down using the regulator index.  It doesn't take much of a tweak to make a big difference.


There... the beat rate is corrected to just a smidgen fast.  Now I can adjust the beat error.


Alright... things look pretty good now.  The amplitude of 225 degrees is acceptable as I haven't fully wound the watch up yet.  The beat rate and beat error are well within my specs.


I noticed the crystal on the watch originally had a fairly low profile and I could see the second hand rubbing in certain spots.  I suspect that might be why the watch was set to run a little fast... the crystal was probably slowing it down over time.  So I replaced it with a new crystal that was just a little taller and everything looks great ... on the inside and out.  This is a sharp-looking watch and the original bracelet is a perfect complement for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment